Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Lattice Method- Math 1510

This week we learned about different multiplication strategies. One of the strategies that was covered was the lattice method. The lattice method is one of many different multiplication strategies that people can use. The following video is a demonstration of how the lattice method works.



I have had previous experience with the lattice method. During 5th grade the lattice method was one of the multiplication methods that we learned how to use. In the 5th grade I found the lattice method completely confusing. I was never able to figure out how to use the lattice to find the correct answer. I quickly gave up on the lattice method and relied on the traditional multiplication algorithm. When I saw the lattice method, now as a college student, I immediately became nervous all over again. I knew that I wasn’t able to figure out how to use it in the past and I assumed it would be the same thing again. This time around I was surprised to find that I enjoy using the lattice method. The lattice method is easy for me to understand now. In my own opinion I don’t find the lattice method any easier or more difficult than the traditional method, it is just another way to multiply.

The question that may pop into many heads is, why should the lattice method be used when the traditional method works just fine? Both methods will provide the correct answer but for many students the lattice method is sometimes easier to work with. The lattice method breaks down the problem into smaller pieces to work with.



I found a kid friendly website that breaks down the steps of the lattice method clearly. This would be a great website to show to parents. Many parents aren't familiar with the lattice method and this website would be a great tool for them to use along with their kids when they are using the lattice method at home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kari,
    I've been working on some tools to help my kids with everyday math... and myself, since none of this was taught when I was a kid. Since the lattice method requires so much workspace, I created an interactive online worksheet with html5... it's a work in progress, but its helpful. http://www.jamespritz.com/Post/Entry/Elementary-Math-With-HTML5. I'm not selling anything; just trying to do something positive.

    ReplyDelete