Friday, July 1, 2011

Different Math Curriculum- Math 1510

During the first week of class we watched a series of thought provoking videos. One of these videos is titled “Math Education: An Inconvenient Truth” and can be found below. This video was not only informative for me but also brought back a lot of memories of my elementary school math experience.



During elementary school my classmates and I were taught using the Everyday Mathematics curriculum. I can clearly remember being very frustrated with math. I can remember doing the work that was required of me but not understanding why I was doing it or what it meant. If I had to apply it in a setting outside of school I won’t know when or how. By the end of elementary school my math skills were not where they should have been. By the time I reached middle school and high school math I was so lost. There would be times when I would be working on homework and I would get so frustrated that I would almost start to cry. To this day I still struggle with multiplication and other basic math facts that I should know.



After watching this video (and others) I have come to realize that the choice of what type of math curriculum should be used doesn’t simply come down to traditional or reformed. The ultimate choice is a math curriculum that lies somewhere in the middle. Both extremes of math curriculum have their benefits. The reformed math curriculum forces students to think on their and become creative problem solvers. The traditional math curriculum teaches students the valuable skills that they need and keeps things simple. A mix of these approaches would be the most beneficial. If students have the most basic skills mastered, understand them, and can apply them, then they can begin to work on more abstract and creative problems.

For more information on Everyday Mathematics please visit The University of Chicago School Mathematics Project: Everyday Mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment